Finn's Take· TL;DRThe Ebola Bundibugyo outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo is now the deadliest the country has ever faced, the World Health Organization confirmed on Monday. It is a milestone no one wanted to reach. The disease has killed 2,325 people, surpassing the 2,299 deaths recorded in the DRC's 2018–2020 outbreak, which was previously the country's deadliest.
The outbreak, declared by national authorities on May 15, became the country's largest in terms of total confirmed cases in late July, and there are currently 4,945 confirmed cases. The numbers are staggering — and they are still climbing. DR Congo's public health institute reported 101 new cases detected in a single 24-hour period. A total of 730 patients remain in isolation or in the hospital, and the fatality rate has risen to 46 percent.
"The outbreak is the fastest growing on record," said Tom Fletcher, the United Nations humanitarian chief, in a statement on Friday. "Ebola is winning in the Democratic Republic of the Congo. We cannot let the virus outrun our response," Fletcher said as he outlined the latest efforts to contain the virus. The UN's alarm is well-founded. The current outbreak remains eclipsed only by West Africa's 2014–2016 Ebola outbreak, which saw 28,616 cases and 11,310 deaths.
A key reason this outbreak is so difficult to fight is the specific strain involved. The Bundibugyo species of Ebola is one for which there is no vaccine or specific treatment, though work is ongoing to test promising candidates. That means the standard toolkit — the approved vaccines and antibody treatments that helped bring previous outbreaks under control — simply does not apply here. Outbreak control methods are therefore limited to rapid case identification, contact tracing, isolation and care, safe burials, and strong community engagement.
The outbreak is occurring in a challenging context: a humanitarian crisis in a remote and densely populated area, combined with insecurity and high population and trade movements. The outbreak began in Ituri, a province of eastern DRC with a long history of ethnic conflict — an area rich in valuable minerals, predominantly extracted by small-scale artisan mining. That combination of conflict, mobility, and poverty makes containment extraordinarily difficult.
WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus warned that at its current pace, the outbreak is on track to eclipse the West African Ebola outbreak of 2014 to 2016, a crisis that killed more than 11,000 people and accelerated the push to develop a vaccine. That warning has galvanized international scientific efforts. Clinical trials of two antiviral treatments have been under way since early July. The WHO Director-General has determined that the outbreak constitutes a Public Health Emergency of International Concern, requiring international coordination and cooperation.
According to WHO Director-General Tedros's August 12 press briefing, only $264 million of the $518 million required under the Continental Preparedness and Response Plan has been disbursed. That funding gap — nearly half the needed resources still missing — is a central reason the response is struggling to keep pace with the virus. Fletcher's call for "speed, scale, and solidarity" is not just diplomatic language; it is a direct acknowledgment that money, personnel, and political will are all falling short.
While Ebola vaccines exist, trials for the first-ever Bundibugyo species-specific candidate vaccine began in the UK on July 24, with a second trial starting in Canada shortly after — and compared to previous Ebola outbreaks, these trials started more quickly because protocols had been written before the current outbreak was declared. That is a rare piece of encouraging news in an otherwise dire picture.
The DRC has survived 16 previous Ebola outbreaks. Each time, the virus was eventually contained. But this outbreak — faster-spreading, fueled by a strain with no approved countermeasures, and unfolding in one of the world's most fragile humanitarian environments — is testing the limits of the global health system in ways not seen since 2014. Whether the international community can close the funding gap and accelerate the response before the death toll climbs further will define the legacy of this crisis.