Finn's Take· TL;DRNorth Korea launched about 10 short-range ballistic missiles toward the sea on Thursday, a day after shrugging off a U.S. decision to scale back military drills with South Korea in an apparent bid to resume diplomacy. The message from Pyongyang could hardly have been clearer: no matter how many concessions Washington offers, Kim Jong Un will respond on his own terms — and right now, those terms include a volley of missiles.
South Korea's Joint Chiefs of Staff said the launches of about 10 short-range ballistic missiles happened from North Korea's capital region around 5 p.m. local time on Thursday, with the missiles flying about 300 kilometers — roughly 185 miles — toward North Korea's eastern waters. South Korea's presidential national security council held an emergency meeting following the launches and issued a statement urging North Korea to halt ballistic missile launches that are banned by UN Security Council resolutions.
Hours before South Korea and the United States began Ulchi Freedom Shield on August 17, President Trump ordered the Pentagon to "substantially reduce" the exercise, calling the drills "costly" and an "inappropriate and hostile" signal to North Korea, while emphasizing his "very good relationship" with Kim Jong Un. The move was widely seen as a diplomatic gesture designed to coax Pyongyang back to the negotiating table. It didn't work.
Kim Yo Jong, Kim's powerful sister, said the cuts to America's joint military exercises with South Korea were "not even worth commenting on," while simultaneously throwing cold water on Trump's claims of renewed contact. On Wednesday, August 19, Trump had announced that Kim had replied to his request for a conversation and that they plan to meet later this year. Kim Yo Jong responded by saying, "I am not aware of it at all," while acknowledging that "the relationship between the two leaders is still excellent."
Trump's sudden focus on Kim and his scaling back of the joint drills with South Korea have alarmed Asian allies, sparking speculation that he may be seeking a foreign policy win as the Iran war grinds on in a costly stalemate. The tension between Trump's personal diplomacy and North Korea's continued weapons tests puts U.S. allies in an uncomfortable position — caught between Washington's desire to cut a deal and Pyongyang's refusal to budge on its nuclear status.
Trump said it was important to "get along" with Kim, adding that Pyongyang now had 57 "very powerful" nuclear weapons — a figure that officials in Seoul disputed, saying North Korea now has between 80 and 120 nuclear warheads, and they couldn't explain the discrepancy. The two men met three times during Trump's first term, but their denuclearization talks ultimately failed.
The Ulchi Freedom Shield exercises ended on August 20 after just five days, after Trump cut short the exercises, which had been scheduled to continue through August 27. Whether that concession ultimately opens any door remains deeply uncertain. One political scientist at Kangwon National University suggests the implication of Kim Yo Jong's message is that she is "raising the price of re-engagement, rather than closing the door to a summit" between Trump and Kim Jong Un — a subtle but important distinction.
North Korea has long used missile tests as a pressure tool, and this latest salvo follows a well-worn pattern. The real question is whether Trump's eagerness for a summit — and his willingness to make unilateral concessions like curtailing military drills — will ultimately bring Kim to the table or simply signal to Pyongyang that provocations carry no real cost. With Trump publicly holding out hope for a face-to-face meeting before year's end, the next move belongs to Kim.